Pyrolysis heavy resin is a residue boiling above 180 ° C. There are several well-developed areas of processing PHR with obtaining:
- carbon black and pitch coke;
- component of boiler fuel;
- dark petroleum resins;
- naphthalene, tetralin and alkylnaphthalene;
- component of jet fuel;
- benzene, toluene, acid and gaseous hydrocarbons;
- adamantanes and other polycyclic hydrocarbons;
- special oils and additives.
To obtain these products, coking, thermal and catalytic polymerization, hydrogenation, hydrocracking, alkylation, and isomerization technologies are used.
The first three areas were implemented in industry, the rest were tested with positive results at pilot plants or investigated in laboratories.